Saturday, October 1, 2011

A new journey

There's no easy way to start this blog post; it's surely one that will raise an eyebrow or two and already has.  I've been second guessed and grilled by some from the moment I spoke these words but I have also had so much support from the majority of my family and friends that it totally outweighed the naysayers.  Aside from the support and the naysayers, the biggest, most important sign from God that this is the way he wants us to go is the support from my BFF; my husband.  :)  The mere fact that he and I are on the same page and made a decision that didn't involve one dragging their feet or having hesitation or humoring the other is a huge step for us and we needed to take action. 

Homeschooling.  :)

While growing up, hearing the word homeschooling had such a negative connotation to it.  It was left for the bad kids in school who just couldn't get their act together or were expelled from school.  It was a word that, for me, fell from my vocabulary because I just couldn't imagine ever being homeschooled nor being a homeschool-er.  Until now. 

For many reasons, we have felt led to homeschool our older kids right now.  It's a decision that we struggled with all summer long.  It's been a topic that has weighed heavily on my heart, specifically for quite a long, long time.  After much prayer, here we are.

But, after diving into our first week of homeschooling Bubba and Sweet Pea (and Peanut is right along side us!), I can honestly say that I feel this is going to be a good thing.  We will have our bad days, we will have fantastic days.  We will be tired, we will be full of energy and enthusiasm.  There will be days that we will say to ourselves "what are we thinking???" and then there will be days where we will be saying to ourselves "job well done!"  I will end this by saying that while we acknowledge concerns regarding this decision, we hope that those who are concerned can find a way to respect and support us in this new path. We are really looking forward to this adventure and would love to share it with you in a positive environment.

Now, if you would like to see how we spent our first week, please join us!  Sit back, enjoy your cup o' joe (or diet coke) and see what we did!  We are so excited!

Sweet Pea working on Johnny Appleseed day worksheets.  We learned that his real name was John Chapman and he wore a pan on his head.  :)  Or so they say.  :)



 For math this week we participated in the St. Jude Math-a-thon (email me if you would like to donate/sponsor the kids!!!)
 Sweet Pea worked on 1st grade math. :)
 Peanut in her cuteness, decided to take a break and watch Jungle Junction.   :)

 More Math-a-thon
 Fall art for their momma.  LOL

 Thanks Gramma Linda for the fingerpaints for Peanut ..she shared with big bro and sis! 

 And then Bubba decided to palm her.  LOL 
 A little time for fun!
 We studied Rosh Hashanah on Thursday.  The kids are doing their apples in celebration of the Jewish Holiday. 

 Bible study time.  Bubba has been reading to us.  He was waiting so patiently to read to us about Adam and Eve.  I had to tell him to wait until we finished our lesson first.  :) 
 Sweet Pea decorating the prize box for Fun Fridays
 I created word play bingo for fun Friday.  I used words from all the things we covered this week! 

 Bubba's pillowcase ghost he made.  It will become a chair cover.  :)
This is just a fraction of what we have done this week!  I can't wait to see what he next weeks have in store!